Mold exists everywhere; there are no indoor spaces without mold.1,2,3 However, without sufficient moisture, mold cannot grow If mold is growing, too much moisture is present.
How can dampness and mold impact health?
Dampness may show up in visible moisture, like leaks, or as high humidity. Dampness in homes or buildings creates the environment for mold spores to grow. Dampness can cause harm even when mold is not present. Excessive moisture also promotes the growth of dust mites, cockroaches, bacteria and viruses, which can impact health.2
Exposure to mold can trigger allergic reactions and asthma symptoms in people who are allergic to mold. However, even without mold, dampness indoors causes asthma attacks and other upper and lower respiratory problems. Anyone—with or without allergies—may experience irritation of the eyes, skin, nose, throat and lungs when exposed to airborne mold particles.3
Dampness and mold have been linked to:
Worsening of asthma
An uncommon disease known as hypersensitivity pneumonitis has been associated with exposure to indoor mold in people who have weakened immune systems.1,3,5 This disease creates flu-like symptoms that may recur.
This article was copied from the American Lung Association website.