top of page
Reaction to mold

Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) is caused by Indoor air pollution, even with increasing public awareness of environmental issues, when “air quality” is mentioned, people most automatically think of the air they breathe while outdoors. Few actually consider the importance of the air we breathe while indoors – in the places we spend most of our lives – whether it’s at home, school or work. Indoor Air Pollution is usually comprised of biological agents like mold, pollen, pet dander, and pests that may trigger asthma attacks or other respiratory symptoms or chemical agents such as VOCs, formaldehyde, combustion products, and radon gas that can cause a wide range of health problems such as asthma, allergies, lung cancer, and other respiratory illnesses— serious concerns for many Americans. It is possible to reduce it significantly or avoid some of the worst toxic offenders commonly found in household cleaning products, building materials, furniture, wooden cabinet, flooring, and others.

  • Carbon Monoxide: Combustion heating and cooling appliances such as heating, ventilation, and air conditioning units, gasoline-powered heaters, and other appliances are sources of carbon monoxide. Properly install, use and maintain fuel-burning appliances. Install carbon monoxide detectors in living spaces. Learn more about Carbon Monoxide

  • Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs): Paints, resins, paint thinners and chemicals, and other products, will still release Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) even while stored properly. Make sure there is plenty of ventilation when painting, remodeling, or using other products that may release VOCs. Consider purchasing low and no-VOC products. Learn more about VOCs.

  • Mold: Moist damp areas within the home can lead to mold. Install a properly sized dehumidifier to help keep your basement at an appropriate humidity level and reduce the potential for mold. It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. Learn more about mold.

  • Radon: Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers in the U.S. It is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that can enter a home through cracks and openings in floors and walls that are in contact with the ground. Testing your home is simple and inexpensive. Learn more about Radon.

  • Formaldehyde (HCHO): A colorless, flammable gas at room temperature that has a strong odor. Exposure to formaldehyde may cause adverse health effects, such as irritation of the skin, eyes, nose, and throat. High levels of exposure may cause some types of cancers. Formaldehyde is found in resins used in the manufacture of composite wood products (i.e., hardwood plywood, particleboard, and medium-density fiberboard); building materials and insulation; household products such as glues, permanent press fabrics, paints and coatings, lacquers and finishes, and paper products; Preservatives used in some medicines, cosmetics and other consumer products such as dishwashing liquids and fabric softeners; and Fertilizers and pesticides. It is a byproduct of combustion and certain other natural processes, and so is also found in: Emissions from un-vented, fuel-burning appliances, like gas stoves or kerosene space heaters; and Cigarette smoke. Learn more from the Consumer Product Safety Commission about products that contain formaldehyde.

Symptoms of poor indoor air quality (IAQ) are very broad and depend on the contaminant. They can easily be mistaken for symptoms of other illnesses such as allergies, stress, colds, and influenza. If you notice relief from your symptoms soon after leaving a particular room or building, your symptoms may be caused by indoor air contaminants.

Call us today for a fast indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Test. 

bottom of page